From:
Linda Amsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:06:25 -0400

Thanks to the many people who took time to respond to my question about
Chinese sauces and GF menu items to order.

I was reminded to visit the archives, which included several posts
regarding the same topic.

Many responses recommended staying away from take-out restaurants
because

1. frequently there is a language barrier and it is    impossible to
determine the ingredients;

2. it is difficult to ascertain whether the MSG is GF (made in US) or
made elsewhere, which is not GF;

3. there is frequently cross contamination because the utensils are used
in many dishes.

Several people suggested that we work with the restaurant owners.  Some
will make the recipe using your own GF soy sauce, if requested.
Otherwise, they can help you determine what the ingredients are.  I
tried this.  It worked great.  They used my soy sauce and reviewed all
the menu items.

Frequently chicken broth is a problem because they add a base to it.

Avoid items with dark sauces--sauces made from soy sauce (except
LaChoy), duck sauce, teriyaki sauce, oyster sauce, ginger sauce, and
black bean sauces.

Order dinners made from cornstarch or arrowroot.  Most white sauces are
okay because they are made with cornstarch.

Avoid breaded and deep friend items.

Some of the menu items that were mentioned as safe are: moo goo gai pan,
white rice, steamed vegetables, chicken chop suey (if they make their
broth from scratch), chicken almong ding, chicken with pea pods,
vegetable kow, shrimp kow, chicken kow, egg drop soup, vegetable soup,
and shrimp and broccolli in white sauce.

Many respondents suggested cooking Chinese foods at home and recommended
cookbooks such as Spoonful of Ginger, 1001 Chinese Recipes, Complete
Book of Chinese Cooking ISBN 0-671-08255, Chinese Vegetarian Cooking
(ISBN 1-85501-352-5z)and Gloria Bley Miller's A Thousand Recipe Chinese
Cookbook.

Finally, a few people suggested that I go to a Thai, Vietnamese, and/or
Indian restaurant because these cuisines tend not to use wheat.

I tried a Thai restaurant.  I had a great waitress.  She said they did
not use wheat because it was too expensive.  The food was terrific.  I
did not have any repercussions after eating at the Thai restaurant.