From:
"Amanda L. Lester" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 20:51:23 -0500

Dear listmembers,

I hope that this is not an innapropriate post, I wanted to ask the
advice of some more "experienced" celiacs.

I have been on the gluten-free diet for 10 months, after being sick
literally my whole life. i never had the "classic" celiac disease
symptoms, mine manifests as severe nausea/vomiting, terrible
headaches and edema. I have been unbelievably well since then.

 I have been eating corn and rice with no problem, although I have a
bad reaction to Sorghum flour. For the last couple of months I have
eaten virtually no baked goods as I have been working 16 hours a day
and have had no time to bake. Then I bought Betty Hagmans new book
and was so inspired I made the bagels. They were so amazing I ate
three and was slightly ill. Then I made the Salem crumpets, and again
after eating one I was ill. As an experiment I "healed" for a couple
of days, then last night I ate another one. This time I was VIOLENTLY
ill. My question is, is it likely I am developing intolerance to other
grains? The crumperts contained:

EnerG Rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch.
Authentic foods bean flour and specialty cornstarch
Xantham gum, egg, vinegar, sugar, salt

Do any of these things ring any warning bells with anyone?
I have previously eaten EnerG tapioca bread and Authentic foods bean
bread mix with no problem.

Im sorry this post is so long and am very grateful for any advice you
can give

Cheers

Amanda