From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:58:48 -0500

All of us are exposed to some mold every day with no ill
effects. We may breathe in mold spores that are present in
the air or eat foods in which mold has begun to grow.

People with mold allergies, however, may have a reaction
if exposed to too much of the fungus. I am one of those
people, and if you are too (not more than 25 to 40% of the
population is thought to be significantly allergic at
worst, http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/killermold/), I
do not recommend eating breads that have begun to mold.

Symptoms include:
Wheezing
Stuffy or runny nose
Itchy, watery eyes
Rash or hives

If you have a mold allergy, avoiding all exposure to mold
may not be possible. However, you can reduce your risk of
reaction by choosing your foods carefully. Check all foods
for signs of mold before you eat them. Do not smell foods
to see if they are spoiled because inhaling mold spores
can set off an allergic reaction. In addition, you can
avoid foods that are more likely to contain mold or other
fungi, such as mushrooms and yeast.

Common food sources of mold include:

Cheese
Mushrooms
Vinegar and foods containing vinegar, such as salad
dressing, catsup and pickles
Sour cream, sour milk, and buttermilk
Meat or fish more than 24 hours old
Breads and other food made with yeast
Sauerkraut
Pickled and smoked meats and fish
Dried fruits such as dates, prunes, figs and raisins
Soy sauce
Hot dogs, sausages
Canned juices

...yes, I have to avoid these foods on top of remaining
gluten free ;)

On food, mold often is visible on the food's surface, such
as the fuzzy green spots that appear on bread. However,
molds also have branches and roots. As it grows, the
mold's roots can penetrate deep inside the food, where it
cannot be seen. (excerpted from web-MD)

Megan Tichy, Ph.D. Chemist