From:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 18:25:02 -0700

Hi all,

  I'm not sure that this one needs summarizing, but I want to follow Listserve protocol.  While I did have 2 folks that won't shop at Walmart for reasons of conscience, I had 20 responses that were favorable.  Here are a few:

    Just in case you missed my posting last year Wa-Mart has Van's
  g/f waffles for 1.67.  I buy several boxes at a time and leave one
  box in the frig.  I toast 2 slices to a light brown and make a regular
  sandwich for lunch every day.  I love Wal-Mart.

  Charlie in SC

   I hear ya.. but then I love Walmart anyways.  Paid about .48 cents for
black beans clearly labeled GF!!! yeah.

Ellen

  If you have a Sam's Club:  they have Member's Mark spinach and asiago
cheese sausage that is very delicious.  I wouldn't know what to do
without
that flavor.

Angel in OKC

  I almost cried the 1st time I saw GF on so many things there.  And of
course I have to buy things that say GF on the label!  Hopefully this
will catch on with other stores.

Laurie

  I agree.  Walmart may be politically incorrect, but they do enable me
to be
a ble to afford to stay gluten free.

Linda

  It's the "regular" things that are clearly marked.  It's all of the Walmart Brand items.  Everything from marshmallows, mashed potatoes, sausage, cheese,  to fruit snacks.  I can't even remember all of it!  I still need to go to my health food store for the special things, like cake mixes, GF flours, etc.  But it's nice to do the rest with Walmart, where they clearly label foods with GLUTEN FREE, all in caps even!  Enjoy!

  Bev provided this warning, though:

  Some of the obvious are NOT g.f. however...In the Milwaukee area, both cornstarch and baking powder have a "Made in a facility that processes wheat" label.

Walmart gets uses different supplies in different regions of the country so don't count one products being the same everywhere...Previously, when you called for info, they first thing they asked for was your zip code.

Still no substitute for reading "every label, every time."

Bev in Milwaukee