From:
Cassandra Engel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cassandra Engel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 05:54:45 -0700

Thanks to everyone for responding - here is the summary:
If she's
 going good on her g.f. diet, she just needs the regular well kid check-up.  If she had problems prior to dx, like anemia, she needs to be checked or that and make sure things are still nomal. The growth
 chart is an
 important tool...Kids should be
 getting back to their pre-celiac growth rate after they've been on a diet a couple of years.  If
 not, need to check for vitamin/mineral deficiencies and possible have antibody tests one (if they had a positive one at dx, run that. More than one?--run the cheapest.) to check for dietary compliance.
------------------I am an adult who has been gf for many years, but I was stunned to find out that I was vitamin D deficient at my doctor's checkup this winter, despite the fact that I eat a very healthy diet and use a multivitamin/multimineral supplement daily.  Now I read that about 80% of all Americans are deficient, so I would have your child tested, too.  I talked to our pediatrician about my (non-celiac) kids and she thought we should just start giving them
 extra Vitamin D (without testing them first), although I have backed way off now that it is summer and they are probably getting more through natural sunshine.  She recommended an extra 1000 iu of Vitamin D per day for them (I take an extra 2000 iu per day in the winter, 1000 iu per day in the summer).
----------------We did a vitamin D level check.
--------------Our doctor has tested iron levels, sometimes Vitamin A,D,E,K check and thyroid.  He always also runs a ttg for antibodies to ensure we aren't mistakenly having gluten in her diet somewhere.
------------------My daughter (and I) has had celiac disease for 7 years.  No other yearly tests except the celiac test to test antibody levels.  Her only other tests were for things unrelated to
 celiac disease.

Not related to celiac my doctor recommended vitamin D level testing.  Turned out we were all deficient.  My daughter's  levels came back up in a few
 months with the supplement.

---------------------------------------these are the bloodtests (besides her celiac markers) that I insist on every year at her checkup for my celiac daughter (who also just turned 7):

1.  Iron & TIBC, serum /CBC with differential
2.  Vitamin B12 & Folate  (or try to get a vitamin B profile test that
 would cover the following:

     Vitamin B1 (thiamin) Vitamin B6 (pyroxidine)
     Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) Vitamin B12
     Vitamin B3 (Niacin) Biotin
     Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid Folic acid

3.  Vitamin D, 25-OH, LCMSMS
4.  Carotene, Serum
5.  Vitamin A serum
6.  Vitamin K serum
7. TSH and T4 (screening test for
 thyroid function)
8.  Screening Test for diabetes (usually done through testing urine)