From:
CATHERINE JOHNSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:02:28 -0500

     I want to echo what Art Raiche wrote recently:
     <snip>
     Being a celiac means that your life is opened up to a terrific variety
     of pastas and breads made from lupin, soy, rice, buckwheat etc flours.
      It means that you now have an automatic brake on eating junk food.
     It means that you tend to buy higher quality food and put more time
     into preparation. <snip>

     I have also started investigating foods from other cultures where
     wheat is not the core of the cuisine.  This has been great fun.  A
     Portugese friend just lent me a cookbook with some really terrific
     recipes for all kinds of foods -- soup through dessert.  We're
     planning to have Green Soup tonight for dinner!  My brother's family
     gave me 2 Indian cookbooks for Christmas last year (one Asian and one
     Native North American).  They have given me some super ideas to make
     the extra effort a little more fun and interesting.

     Yes, the "fast food" options are more limited, but with a little
     creativity and planning, we can eat pretty well almost anywhere.

     BTW -- the hint to always carry a fork and spoon is a good one!  Also
     some kind of pre-moistened towelette for cleaning-up when you have to
     leave behind the bread on a messy sandwich.

     Cathy in CT
     Celiac and mother of a GF/Dairy Free 3 year old
     Yes, I also have a full time job outside my home so I'm not June
     Cleaver either!