From:
Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:32:11 -0600

For a teriyaki sauce/marinade, etc., I received the following
suggestions:

Suggestion No. 1:

  5 oz. San-J Wheat Free "Reduced Sodium" Tamari Soy Sauce
  6 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
  1/4 cup brown sugar
  1 clove fresh garlic, minced (optional)
  1 TBSP grated fresh ginger (or 1tsp. ground dried ginger)

Heat liquid ingredients, add brown sugar, mix till dissolved.  Add
garlic and ginger, then cool.  Wonderful, flavorful, not salty, and easy
to make!  Takes less than five minutes to make.  Recommended marinating
time: 4-18 hours.  Enjoy!!  (San-J, Virginia offices:  800-446-5500)
One poster also thought San-J Teriyaki Sauce was GF but hadn't used it
in awhile and suggested confirming this.

Suggestion No. 2:

  1 Cup San-J wheat free soy sauce
  2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
  2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
  1/2 cup red wine
  1/2 cup water
  1/3 cup honey

The above amounts are estimates.  I just throw it all together.  Hope it
turns out okay.

Suggestion No. 3:

  1/2 Cup GF soy sauce
  1/4 cup dry sherry or sake (rice wine)
  1 Tbsp. sugar (I add a bit more, depends how sweet you like it)

Mix all ingredients till sugar dissolves.  You can heat on stove to
dissolve sugar as well, but cool it down before marinating.  I marinate
fish for a couple of hours in the fridge and then broil fish.  While
broiling keep brushing with marinade every few minutes.

Suggestion No. 4:

I found Chun King Teriyaki Sauce on a GF products list from July 1996.
(I also recently received a GF products list and it lists Chun King
Teriyaki Sauce as of now.)  Cindy also suggested finding a marinade
recipe and changing the ingredients to be GF, for instance, change the
soy sauce to be GF, the vinegar, cooking oil, and so on.

Suggestion No. 5:

GF soy sauce, brown sugar.  Also you could use some honey.

Suggestion No. 6:

I purchased a Oriental Spiced Ginger Marinade from a mail order company
once.  They changed the last time I went to order, but I still have the
label.  Ingredients listed were:  Turbinado cane sugar, soy sauce
(water, soybeans, corn syrup), water, anchovie extract, lemon juice from
concentrate, ginger, spices.  Before you all turn up your noses at the
anchovie extract, I have to tell you this was a really delicious
marinade!!  It was from The Competition Foods, P.O. Box 293, Yarmouth,
ME  04096.  I never found out why they switched brands.

Suggeston No. 7:

I received a GF products list recently and it has the following as being
GF:

Michelle's Natural (Mrs. Leepers) Oriental
Contadina Sweet & Sour sauce
Chun King Teriyaki Sauce
Dynasty Plum Sauce and Hoisen Sauce

Hope this is of help to some.  Thanks to all who contributed.

Lisa McKinney (Waukee, Iowa)