From:
Chili Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chili Head <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:56:14 -0500

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Corey wrote:

>  I have seen a lot of talk on this
> list about not trusting Trader Joe's.

I think the "talk" about trusting Trader Joe's may have been somewhat
misinterpreted.  Indeed, something I wrote to someone about this was,
I feel, misrepresented in summary to the list.

TJ's is very good about noting on the packaging if a product is
produced in the same facility or on shared equipment with wheat.  But,
if this IS on the package, I think one takes a chance that there could
be cross contamination.  Personally, I find it very responsible that
TJ takes it upon themselves to provide this information to the
customer.  Particularly, if something is made on the same equipment as
wheat products, it's a chance you take (with any product) -- and this
is not about Trader Joe's being untrustworthy.  They are just honest!

For me, any time I see "made on shared equipment with wheat" on ANY
product (from TJ or anywhere), chances are pretty high I'll have a
reaction.  I almost never buy these products.  Often a product can be
made in a "facility" that handles wheat (rather than on same
equipment), and I can sometimes tolerate these products, and I often
give them a try.

But my question would be this:  does the Trader Joe's label say
anything about the processing situation with regard to wheat?  If it
says it's processed on shared equipment, if it were me, I'd probably
consider that there is some cc going on.  But don't blame Trader
Joe's, for heavens sake!  If it says nothing about wheat processing,
and you are SURE that a reaction is taking place -- boy, by all means,
call Trader Joe's about it!  I have done this, and ended up having
them source the problem to determine if the manufacturer of a given
product has changed their production process.  Once it turned out to
be true, and the food provider had not informed TJ's of the change --
and TJ ultimately changed the label.