From:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 12:39:26 -0400

*We've been to Disney World, EPCOT and Animal Kingdom twice since diagnosis, the second time in December 2010 (16 months ago), and I have to say that I think Disney's rep as being celiac-friendly is vastly overstated. Yes, we could get GF meals, by advance reservation, with a long wait, and less food for the same high price.  If you show up at a Disney restaurant without a reservation made by the special services office (wrong term, but you should have talked to them already) you will likely be given some level of grief, from a long wait to actually being criticized for not making a special diet reservation. All that being said, we were able to eat safely and had no reactions to the food there.
DO make reservations for a least one sit-down meal in advance. Our favorite is the Crystal Palace, in the Magic Kingdom, second favorite is Coral Reef at EPCOT. Do try the Coca-Cola from around the world - some weird flavors! But when we were there, they were all GF.
At Animal Kingdom, the Flame Tree BBQ was able to fix us a decent meal; it just took 35 minutes after we ordered - and that was "fast food!"
Go to Guest Services as soon as you reach the park (right after the main entrance), ask for a food list and on-site advice for the day.
I always carry a variety of snacks (Just Fruit bars, crackers, pretzels, candy, etc. for special trips) because when my son hits "Hungry!" he needs food right away. Explain at the entrance that they are for a medical diet, and you shouldn't have an issue.
Shopping for GF stuff in Orlando was not difficult. If you go to the bigger Publix stores, they have  a decent selection.

*we went in april. I just asked every vendor for gluten free options. if the vendor didn't know they got someone. if it was table service or quick service meals the chef came out every time. it was the best experience and their were so many options. the hardest part was they were so good about the gf food they often messed up the order for those non gf. (esp at quick service)

*We were just at Disney in April.  I have 2 kids with Celiac.  We had a wonderful trip despite the snack issue.  I was also disappointed to ask for the lists ahead of time and be told the same thing you were. Quick service and table service restaurants will not be a problem - make sure they give you a list of quick service restaurants that can help you.  For instance in the Epcot there is only 1 in the "international" section and that is the "US".  The table service is the best.  The chef will come out and tell you what they can do and then they will personally deliver the food.  For breakfast - they seem to like to serve GF waffles though (which after 7 days got a bit old).

If you go to a buffet (our best buffet experiences this trip were Crystal Palace and Boma), don't' let them push you into eating off the buffet.  At Chef Mickey's - they tried this during this trip and last trip.  Last time, the chef told me, you came to a buffet restaurant and that is what this is.  When I told him that my children would get very sick if someone switched up tongs or dropped something from their plate, the chef backed down.  At buffet restaurants, they'll have you walk the buffet with the chef to see the GF options and then they'll get fresh stuff from back.  We love Cat Cora's - greek restaurant.  They even have GF pita bread.

At quick service restaurants - it will be longer to wait.  They now have dedicated fryers for french fries - yay!!!   But the wait was worth it.

Now for the snacks.  I remembered that the Mickey's Premium Ice Cream bar was GF before.  I did take the risk this trip and both kids at it - successfully.  Double check the wrapper though and make sure you agree.  I'd stay away from the popcorn.  There was another frozen treat - I think Edy's or Dreyers (maybe a strawberry bar?) - I can't remember exactly.   I googled it and found that it was ok too.  There is a frozen chocolate banana - I didn't check the label because my kids weren't interested - but perhaps if you check the label that might be an option?  You will find GF brownies and chocolate chip cookies at some places - check in Magic Kingdom at the Main Street Bakery.  Other than that - my kids had drinks, water and we brought some of our own snacks into the park.  If you read the labels - you'll find some options for carmel corn and cotton candy too that are prepackaged.
One warning - at Hollywood Studios ABC Commissary - they served my child Danamials Yogurt (Dannon Yogurt) - Dannon maintains that although they do not add gluten - they cannot say their yogurt is GF because they don't control their suppliers for it.  So - for me - it is not GF.  I told this to the manager - not sure if they would have changed it by now.  You can see what I'm talking about on the Dannon website.

I will say that I was a bit frustrated asking the snack employees about what is GF.  They do have a notebook at most carts showing what is GF or at least showing ingredients.  However, a couple of times when there was no book - they radioed their manager who told them the item was not GF.  But then when we got to another cart - the item in question was sometimes in the notebook as GF.  Maybe the managers were too busy to look it up or just wanted to be safe????
Take some snacks - they are ok letting people in with snacks.

*We took my 4 yr old son w celiac to DW in September and it was just as wonderful as everyone says it is!
I do have that list that you are referring to and I have heard that it was discontinued :(

Our fave meals were with Chef Ken at the Plaza Restaurant in the Magic Kingdom, with Chef Paul at Boatwrights at the Port Orleans Riverside, and at the Floridian Cafe at the Grand Floridian.  My son actually has pics of him with these chefs hanging in his bedroom.

We had a not great experience at the French restaurant at Epcot. And we had the least choices at the large counter svc plae at Epcot (Rainbow something?)  We bought the table svc dining plan and had much better meals at table svc than counter svc.  For us it was worth the extra price and time.

I always carry pretzels and trail mix in my backpack and we rarely ate it, we were so so happy with all the goodies we found.
Most of the restaurants carry packaged French Meadow desserts and the very kind chefs would take 2 of those choc chip cookies and make my son an ice cream sandwich.

*having just visited disney in january, i was treated like a queen. we ate in the full service restaurants and in each and every one, the chef came to the table to discuss my options. the people i was travelling with thought i was a celebrtiy! i am returning to epcot next week for an encore.

* We visited Disney in January with our 12 year old daughter who has celiac disease.  It was a wonderful experience and she really enjoyed all of the food while we were there.  To my surprise I also found it was a wonderful vacation for me from gluten free menu planning as the Disney staff took such excellent care of us.
We did the Disney dining plan where I was able to indicate up front that we need the gluten free accommodation.   Note they did not charge us extra!  We stayed at the All Star resorts where she loved their rice krispie bars on a stick but also found they offered gluten free pizza, gluten free waffles, and the chefs could assure us of the status of breakfast meats, etc.  They also offer a lot of packaged foods, fruits, etc so we knew ourselves what would work or wouldn't.
I quickly learned that wherever we ate the chef or supervisor would have a gluten free menu and would meet with us to assure we had the food we needed. I've come across well intentioned people who try to help you with gf foods at a restaurant but after you eat you realize they meant well but missed the mark.  This was not true of Disney, the chefs & supervisors really understood and would serve her food on a separate tray & prepare it in a separate area without us even asking.  They often gave her a second dessert which was usually brownies or cookies from ___ (sorry I can't currently think of the company but it's a common one who offers gf products.
Among the places we ate were:  Polynesian Luau, Teppan Edo, Sci Fi Diner, German restaurant at EPCOT (they were very accommodating but she didn't really like the menu and didn't feel the best afterward), food court at The Land.   She really loved all the food and felt good the whole time.  They made it a really positive experience for her.