From:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:38:25 -0500

Hello, Everyone.

 Thanks to all who shared so generously with me their experiences with anemia and ferritin levels. It appears that my experience of slow gain of ferritin is not uncommon. I feel now that I do need to increase my iron supplement-- I was only taking 18 mg. of amino iron chelate. Since my supplement has been small, yet I am most definitely gaining, I'm encouraged.

As I had so many replies, and I sent this once but it was returned as too long, I'm editing to quote the major comments and separating into two posts.

Again, thank you all.
CurtissAnn

My recovery was much quicker, within less than 6 months, but I was on iron
pills the whole time.

As a physician who sees a lot of celiacs (and am one myself)  I will tell
you that iron is a difficult metal for celiacs to absorb.  If you take iron
in the presence of calcium or zinc it will not be well-absorbed. Each metal
inhibits the others absorption. How soon your ferritin  levels recover
really depend on how much mucosal damage you have.

Additionally, the serum ferritin only builds up after your blood hemoglobin
has normalized.  So if you are quite deficient (anemic) this normalizes
first and then you can begin to store iron again.  The serum ferritin is a
measure of stored iron, not your circulating iron.

Susan Solomon M.D.

I too was severely anemic when I was diagnosed with Celiac.  My ferritin
level was 1 at the time of my diagnosis!  After being on the GF diet for 6
months, my levels had skyrocketed to 123.  I felt tremendously
better.  What iron supplement are you on?  I think the time of restoration
to your body is different for everyone.  I have read in some places that
your body starts showing signs of improvement in weeks, other doctors have
said years.  It really depends on the amount of damage and recovery you
need to go through.  Keep thinking positive - sounds like you are on the
road to feeling better, it just may take longer than you would
like!  Please let me know if you have any questions, I know how frustrating
this can be.

Your gastroenterologist is right, however, it usually returns that fast
on iron supplementations which it sounds like you weren't on until after
a few months. And, it depends on how much iron you were taking to
supplement. The usual dose is 325 mg of iron sulfate three times a day.
So take that into account when you are considering a "slow return" to
normal. Let me know if you have any more questions. Aloha, Amy
I was diagnosed with CD in June 2000.  At that time, my serum ferritin was 3 and my hematocrit was 31.  I began taking iron supplements.  In January 2002, my ferritin was 12, hematocrit 40.  I just had them repeated in April 2003--ferritin now 51, hematocrit 40.  So it took me over 2 1/2 years, on a very strict GF diet AND iron supplements.
I received my ferritin iron count last July '02 and was advised by the Dr. at the lab that my count should be 40 and I was at 11.8. I was diagnosed with Celiac in Nov. '02. I will have my blood test tomorrow morning and should receive my results in about 2 weeks. At that point I will know how much I have improved. Hopefully a lot. I took Iron supplements until about 2 months ago. Will see what my results are and if I have to go back on the Iron supplement routine.

I do feel a lot better, not as much fatigue and groggy headed.
need to combine it with the l-glutamine which acts like a cataylist.  Need to
take them with EVERY meal.