From:
Mary W. Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:55:20 +0800

Thanks to all 35 of you who responded. My comments are in brackets at the
end some of the suggestions. In no particular order here's the information I
received:

-- take zinc lozenges (one person said to double the dose at the onset).
These lozenges must contain at least 22 or 23 mg of Zinc Gluconate and
be designed to 'melt in your mouth'.  Usual dosage is one lozenge every
two (2) hours.  You can take up to 6 per day for a maximum of three
days.  Don't chew these or swallow whole, as the zinc gluconate must
contact the mucuous membranes of the mouth/throat to have any effect.
[zinc had the most recommendations]

-- The absolute best thing for a cold is Zi-Cam. For some reason it still
remains a "best kept secret"! It is gf and is a gel that you put up in
your nose.  You do NOT sniff it up into the nose, but just place it in
the nose. You have to be aware that you are catching a cold and use it
at the very first sign of one. It works like a charm!  Many times I have
completely thwarted the cold and only had a sore throat for 2 or 3
days. It is the best thing "since sliced bread"! It is pricey and
everyone in the house must have their own, but it is wonderful.
Sometimes I start taking it, when someone else in the household has a
cold.  It keeps me from getting the cold! Zi Cam is not nearly as
effective if the cold gets a real head start. To work well, it HAS to be
taken at the first sign of a cold, but man, it really works if one
"jumps" on the cold.

-- Of course, the old adage one heard from mom is effective too.  Washing
one's hands all the time.  One of the reasons this doesn't work for some
people is that most people do NOT wash their hands long enough.  A study
has been done that says hand washing should be done for at least 50
seconds.

-- get a new tooth brush so you don't reinfect yourself. [didn't know this
was possible].

-- a flu shot helps lessen the severity, plus lots of rest.

-- a homeopathic remedy called Alpha CF (colds & flu) greatly lessens
symptoms and can shorten a cold if taken right at the beginning.

-- drink lots of hot herbal teas plus hot soups. Also sweat it out by
wearing layers of warm clothes.

-- take grape seed, an antitoxin, available in pill form from health food
stores.

-- take colloidal silver once or twice a day to fight off infections.

-- take antibiotics [my physician does not prescribe these for the common
cold].

-- use a product called "Wellness" [person couldn't remember the mfgr. but
said it works extremely well].

-- drink a mix of Elderberry and Slippery Elm tea. Slippery Elm can be found
under the name "Throat Coat".

-- elminating dairy will lessen mucus. Drink more water & hot chicken broth.

-- homeopathic cold medicine called "Cold Calm" made by Boiron.  You let
two tablets dissolve under your tongue every two hours up to six times a
day.  Usually you don't have to use it this often.  You get temporary
relief for the cold symptoms of sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion
and minor sore throat.  One box lasts a long time and my recent purchase
is good until Sept. 2005, so you don't have to throw it out after a year.

-- chew raw garlic.  Take a clove of garlic, crush it or chop it into
small pieces, let it sit for 5 minutes (oxygen activates something in
the juices that stimulates the immune system), then swallow it like a
pill.  Use plenty of water if you like.  If you don't chew it in your
mouth, you shouldn't have residual garlic breath.  Do this for 7 - 10
days, especially if you notice a marked improvement, even if you are
feeling better, you can relapse over night if you don't run the whole
course. [I have been told that eating chocolate afterwards eliminates
garlic breath].

-- take Beta Glucan and Colostrum both immune boosters. They really, really
help.

-- plain old Vicks Vaporub dabbed on your upper lip helps, too.
It's actually the menthol and eucalyptus vapors in the Vicks which help
ease the stuffy, runny nose symptoms.  By putting it on your upper lip
you can just inhale it.  If you don't like putting it on your skin, put
some on a tissue and hold the tissue near your nose from time to time
to inhale the vapors.  Don't waste time using Vicks in a vaporizer -
you don't get enough that way.

-- use smelling salts. put rock salt (available at grocery stores) in a
small glass jar and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil (available at
healthfood or herb supply stores.)  Keep jar capped until you need a
sniff or two.  Just open the lid, inhale deeply once or twice, then put
the cap back on.  This may be a more convenient and less messy method.
Be sure to label the jar and keep it out of the reach of kids, pets, etc.

-- use buffered Vitamin C which is easier for your body to absorb.

There you have it--thanks again to everyone.