From:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:40:54 +0000

A majority of the replies suggested that it sounds like Dermatitis Herpetiformis, a skin manifestation of Celiac. The Dermatologist confirmed that's what it was. There were a few replies that said it might be a reaction to another allergen like soy. For treatments, some said that you can have a Dermatologist prescribe Dapsone which sounds like a strong drug. Here is more information:
-----------
Here is a really excellent write up on it from the NIH: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/dh/
Seek out anything written by Dr. John Zone at the University of Utah (http://healthcare.utah.edu/dermatology/about/faculty/johnzone.html) -- as he is the top expert on DH.
------------
If it's DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) caused from an immune reaction to gluten, there's little you can do, unfortunately (unless you are wiling to take heavy drugs, like Dapsone). I treat it with a combo of tea tree oil and aloe. Calamine or Benadryl lotion might help the itch. You should also be aware that iodine can trigger DH- so watch your iodine intake with iodized salt, sea food, milk. Too much iodine will trigger an attack- even w/o gluten exposure.
You probably have Dermatitis Herpetiforms (known as DH). Some people with Celiac disease develop ghis condition and others don''t. No one knows why. I have had DH right from the beginning. It occurs when gluten has been ingested and also under stress. The itching is unbearable. There is really nothing that helps very much. My theory is that the gluten is coming out in this form. It took about 10 years for it to stop. There may be something out there that would help, as mine was quite a while ago.  My dermatologist suggested  a pill called Dapsone when I first encountered DH. He did not tell me the side effects of this pill. I fainted and hit my head on the floor really hard and I ended up with a concussion. Dapsone can cut off the oxygen to the brain.  Below is a site that has pictures that you may or may not relate to.
http://health.allrefer.com/health/dermatitis-herpetiformis-pictures-images.html
You could have Dermatitis Herpetiformis - the skin manifestation of Celiac Disease.  I have it and I get hives also when I have had cross contamination.  I have some topical creams, but my dermatologist recommends taking a Clairton or Zyrtec (Zyrtec is the one I use).
Time to get an epi-pen.  It may be years before your reactions worsen to the point of anaphylaxis, but you're on the way.  My cousin is 10 yrs older than me and she's been rushed to the ER twice; I get little blisters that eventually dry up and turn into round dry patches that take weeks to heal. I've only broken out in hives head-to-toe twice, but it also started to get hard to breathe.  I took 2 Benadryl, put myself in a calm, relaxed state, with an epi-pen and phone handy in case I actually had to use the epi-pen (that's an automatic trip to the ER). Hydrocortisone works and there are some prescription creams that are better; talk to your doctor about those.

*******
*******