Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:42:57 -0400

For all of you who are heading "down east" as we say.......here is the
Maine restaurant summary:

The Portland Maine Celiac/DH Support Group has a multi-page listing one
of their members put together a couple of years ago.  They share this
listing via email.  Contact is

Paula Raleigh, [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

We moved to Maine a year ago and live in China (1 hour north of
Portland).  We have a few favorite restaurants, but would love to know
of more.  Please summarize.

A few restaurants you may want to try:
Pepperclub
78 Middle St
Portland, ME 04101-4232
(207) 772-0531
http://portlandme.citysearch.com/profile/5067382/portland_me/
pepperclub.html
The staff here understands gluten free; they have regular customers  who
eat GF.  So, feel free to call ahead or just ask when you get  there.  I
spoke to a manager, but I'm sure the chef in the kitchen is  just as
knowledgeable.  The food here is very good and eclectic.  They  have a
number of vegetarian options as well as ethnic entrees (I  remember both
Thai and Indian).

O'Naturals
locations in Portland (Old Port) and Falmouth
www.onaturals.com
http://portlandme.citysearch.com/profile/34554949/falmouth_me/o_natural_s.html

A nice restaurant that carries Food For Life rice bread.  They have both
a gluten free and dairy free menu.  You order food cafeteria style and
eat in an adjacent dining room.

Three Dollar Dewey's
241 Commercial St
Portland, ME 04101-4622
(207) 772-3310
Cross Street: Union Street
In Portland, near the waterfront shops.  I order lobster salad (clean
scoop), chips and side veggie here.  Not a great restaurant, but we
enjoy going there.

Outback Steakhouse
147 Western Ave
South Portland, ME 04106-2413
(207) 761-4400
Gluten free menu:
http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com/ourmenu/pdf/glutenfree.pdf

Slate's Restaurant
167 Water St
Hallowell, ME 04347-1356
(207) 622-9575
http://augusta.citysearch.com/profile/5084622/hallowell_me/
slate_s_restaurant.html
The food here is excellent - the best food I've eaten yet in Maine.
All their food is prepared in their kitchen by staff who can answer
questions about the presence of wheat, rye, barley and oats.  It
doesn't seem the staff understands the term gluten-free, however.   This
restaurant is pricey, but worth it.    This is not a  kid-friendly
restaurant, however.

Dockside Family Restaurant
30 Main St
Belfast, ME 04915-6824
(207) 338-6889
http://national.citysearch.com/profile/5107984/belfast_me/
dockside_family_restaurant.html
They have a dedicated fryer here, so the French Fries are safe and
delicious.  Their crab salad and lobster salad are gf.  They have a
couple of regular customers who eat gluten free, so you can talk to  the
manager about what you can eat here.  I've always had the lobster  salad
and fries, so I don't know what else there is...  This is a  small,
local diner with a great view of the harbor.  It's relatively
inexpensive and kid-friendly.

LongHorn® Steakhouse (at I95, exit 112)
   12 Stephen King Drive, Suite 1
   Augusta, ME 04330
   Phone: 207/622-5700
   Fax: 207/622-5770
Mike, one of their managers, has a celiac wife so is familiar with the
gluten free diet.  He can give you advice.  I've only eaten plain
steaks with baked sweet potatoes here.  But, the steaks are good.

Five Islands Harbor Loster Shack
1447 Five Islands Road
Georgetown, Maine 04548
(207) 371-2990
http://www.fiveislandslobster.com/
This is the nicest lobster shack I've found in Maine.  They have two
different shacks for food - one is the boiled food shack, the other  has
grilled and fried foods.  Because I'm concerned about
cross-contamination, I've never checked out the fried-food shack - so  I
don't know if there are any gf options there.  From the boiled food
shack I get a lobster, potatoes and corn-on-the-cob -- all boiled in
ocean water.  It is all delicious and the view is fantastic.  It's  BYOB
and you sit outside at picnic tables overlooking the harbor.  I  find if
you arrive by 5:30, you don't have to wait for a table.

If you like lobster, lobster shacks are a great way to eat gf.  Here's
an article describing other lobster shacks:
http://travel.mainetoday.com/fromaway/040603.shtml?com_full=1

Usually fish places work out OK.
I had a wonderful meal at Mama Boy's 'Bistro in Winter Harbor Maine--a bit
north coast--but if you are going up to Arcadia it is close. They are helpful
and willing to work with you and it is a nice spot.
Booth Bay Harbor:  Try the Thistle Inn--really good food--nice
staff--very willing to accomodate; also Cina by the Sea in Booth
Bay--very nice/accomodating.