From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:45:40 -0700

Dear List Mates,

My Everlovin' and I have been doing some experiments with egg-free and
dairy-free breads. We have a friend who can't eat eggs, milk, butter or
gluten, and he really needs bread. But the real question is: can you bake a
GF Challah that is egg-free and dairy free that also tastes good? (Recipes
and ideas are welcome!) So, this  weekend we experimented. The Challah,
albeit a bit pale, looks like a Challah, but it needs a bit of work on the
texture. Also, you have to accept the fact that since it has banana, it is
going to taste like bananas. The taste is quite nice, and it is going to
make a fine French Toast (with eggs since I don't need to be egg-free). The
other egg-free and dairy-free bread, not braided, came out just fine. There
is no need to change it. The turmeric in the bread gives it some color, and
the honey gives it a nice flavor, balancing the flax and turmeric. In all,
the ingredients hum together.

Curious, just click on this tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/2vdggw , or this
full address: http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/ and scroll down
the page until you run into <New> in red type. (Note, the character
immediately after ".net/" is a tilde. A number of people have trouble here.)
Now click through.

I always love to get comments or ideas.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA