Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:18:24 EST

I would like to respond to Elaine's ([log in to unmask]) comments.  Very
good points.  However, let me tell you...he knows.

I interviewed at Johns Hopkins for their immunology program, and had a long
talk with Dr. Noel Rose.  He is a wonderful man.  We spent a while talking
about Celiac Disease, and he asked me if there were people in my family who
were also Celiacs.  I said no.  Then he asked me if there were people who had
Lupus, Arthritis, or a thyroid problem.  I realized, yes.  He told me that he
and other autoimmune researchers believe that Celiac, as well as a host of
other autoimmune diseases, have a common genetic basis, but are expressed
("brought about") by different environmental stimuli.  This is the hard part
to determine--what causes the gene to express autoimmunity as Celiac, Lupus,
or perhaps both.  This is what is difficult for scientists to determine.

However, I can assure you that he, and other researchers, are working hard on
the situation.  I think that we will come up with gene therapy for ALL
autoimmune diseases, as opposed to "one at a time."  It will, however, take
some time. Right now they have a map of the genome, but it is a map with "no
names."  Now we need to figure out exactly what those genes do.  Please be
patient--scientists are working hard.

Thank you and happy eating.

Jessica
Immunology student