From:
Donna Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:36:34 -0500

    It's my belief that celiacs don't absorb iodine or zinc very well.
Iodine is needed to make thyroxin, but zinc and tyrosine are needed by the
liver to convert T4 from the thyroid into T3.  It is T3 that tells the
muscles to use energy and warm the body.
    I never thought of myself as having a thyroid problem, till I'd put up
with a year of my left breast feeling swollen and painful, and finally
started taking iodine to deal with it.  The breast pain went away, but the
nice side effect is that my feet are no longer cold in the winter.  Anytime
I neglect the iodine for too many days, the breast starts to bother me, but
in the two years I've been taking iodine, the feet have never been
uncomfortably cold again.  I use Atomadine, as it is a true iodine, not an
iodide and thus is better used by the breasts, plus it won't set off
abnormal thyroid activity.  Atomadine has a reputation for "normalizing"
thyroid function. My husband was somewhat hyperthyroid, and Atomadine
stopped his problems too.
    One woman that I suspect of having celiac told me that 2 months ago she
started taking zinc, and she got to feeling MUCH better.  It was the only
thing she changed.  It makes sense, as zinc is needed to make hydrochloric
acid to help absorb minerals and digest protein,  and it's used in 50
different digestive enzymes, plus it's needed to make T-3 and is synergistic
with vitamin B6 (another limiting factor in celiacs).
    Some of you might want to see if simply supplementing the nutrients
needed for the thyroid to work properly could help you as much as it has me.
Donna H