From:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:24:16 -0700

Hello everyone,

The recent posting of the URL to the Archives of Internal Medicine,  Subject
line: Re: journal article: Causes of Death in Celiac Disease in Sweden,
needs clarification.   We need input from real experts on this quickly (IMO)!

The potential ramifications of Insurance Companies using this against
celiacs diagnosed after the age of two are staggering and the fear factor
this abstract may evoke among list members is well... frightening.   Have I
misread this?   Without the full text I wish I hadn't read it at all!

The abstract by itself may be misleading and full test generally makes things
a bit clearer but most of us don't have access to full text in the Archives
of Internal Medicine.   My interpretation is that this is further evidence of
the need to diagnose CD before the age of two and that when early diagnosis
does occur risks are lowered by 60% across the board compared to the general
population.   With a DX after age two the figures of increased risk are
pretty weighty statistically.   Am I missing something?

A minimum survival requirement of only twelve months in a study that lasted
three full decades doesn't tell us enough to even draw conclusions.   The
full text may reveal that a large number of people included in the study
simply weren't DX until already compromised by other illness thereby skewing
the numbers toward a highly inflated mortality ratio.   List members may
easily be caused unnecessary concern and Insurance Companies may further
penalize us all if this is all we have to go on.

Another thought is as with all applicable European studies involving CD
wouldn't the life-style criteria be different (assuming GF diet is a given
which the abstract does not make clear) from a similar study done in North
America since dietary inclusion of wheat starch is not allowed here but is
allowed in those countries?

With no specific background in science or medicine I'm frankly very confused.
Will our terrific celiac experts PLEASE ring in on this one ASAP?

I will be happy to summarize anyone's comments who wish to write me directly
and hope we'll see something from the experts as well.

Wishing all G/F health,

Arletta Johnson

G/F means:  Good Food, Good Friends, Good Fun!