From:
Julia Otamendi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:45:24 -0300

Dear co-listers:

The warm (and so many!) responses I received to my question  on
the relation between CD and hair loss certainly touched me. Thank
all for the good wills, advices and sympathy

Now to the point:

From the 70 responses, 60 were from women. I don't know if this
means that this problem only worries them,  that they pay more
attention to it or that they are more willing to solve it

Only 4 persons in the whole answered that CD had nothing to do
with hair loss. The rest emphatically answered yes, the relation is
clear

8 persons suggested cheking out for thyrod dysfunction

40 persons said that after begining a GF diet their hair began to
grow again better than ever

About 8 persons mentioned that CD has some related diseases,
such as alopecia areata (sp ?) which makes hair fall, sometimes
from the entire body

Finally I arrived to the conclusion that though sometimes hair loss
has another reasons (hormonal dysfunctions, anorexia, very severe
diets, childbirth, etc ), when you are celiac and do not treat it you
will probably suffer from this as one of the first symptoms. Of
course under a GF diet, it partial or totally disappears

Hoping to have been useful,

Julia Otamendi
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Julia Otamendi