Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:44:28 -0700

At 04:37 PM 4/15/00 +1000, Niko Antalffy wrote:

>The intersting thing is that those
>who experience stronger mental reaction to gluten tend to be the ones
>who are diagnosed under another rubric, like schizophrenia or MS, or
>'self-diagnosed' or those whose digestive response is not as distinctive
>(my case belongs here too)... but this is a generalization of an
>impression. If it was even vaguely true, I was hypothesizing for a
>moment, maybe there are those of us who strongly react in the gut but
>not so much in the mind, and those who strongly react mentally but not
>so much in the gut.

I remember reading a couple of years ago (wish I remembered where) that, so
far as is known, the Irish (especially the Western Irish) had far more
celiac disease than any other nationality, and that they also had more
schizophrenia than any other ethnic group. "Erin gobraugh." If that's true,
I wonder if it's indicative. But, Harry, who only comes out to render
scientific opinions, insists that he's not certain the article was
accurate, and points out to vance that the two of us have never seen those
figures again anywhere :) -vance and harry