From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:08:25 -0600

Here at Chicken Paradise (www.chickenparadise.com ) in San Antonio, spring
is all over the place.  The iris buds are standing up and getting ready to
bloom.  The bright pink flowers of the redbud tree contrasted against the
blue sky today, surrounding the tree house on three sides, although the
treehouse is firmly anchored in a large oak tree.  Unfortunately, a few of
the sassy chickens are digging in the large planter boxes so I will have to
rig a barrier and plant some other less tasty flowering plants.

We are looking forward to a small wedding this next weekend, and have hopes
that the wisteria canopy will begin to bloom just in time to shower the
bride and groom with a few fragrant flower petals.

Just in time for the honeymooners, we have upgraded the bed in the suite
from Queen to King size.  We hope to update the pictures on the website
before long.  We have several professional gluten-free bakers here in San
Antonio, and I have kept them busy supplying cakes for birthdays, weddings,
and anniversaries for our guests.  Think about planning your special event
here, and tell us how we can help with your plans.

The outdoor shower has been so popular that we have installed another water
heater just for the outdoor shower and the Paradise Suite.  If you have been
here before, you know that the outdoor shower was previously taking a while
to get hot, but that has all changed.  The basil has survived in the
greenhouse all winter, and the dill is abundant in the garden, so there are
lots of choices for your omelets with fresh eggs from our own chickens.  Mr
and Mrs Peacock were seen frolicking in the garden this morning, so it won't
be long before Mrs. Peacock is putting the final touches on her nest for
this year.  The purple Martin scouts were out this morning calling to us and
swooping in circle eights around their house, impatient to get started with
their new families.

Spring is a delightful time of year in San Antonio, so think about joining
us at Chicken Paradise.  We are fully booked during the week of March 9-18,
so we invite you to plan your getaway later in the month or during April.
Be thinking about summer vacation too, as the summer weeks are beginning to
fill up.

I don't have a picture of the treehouse on the website yet, but if you would
like to see a picture of it, send me a message letting me know and I will
forward a photo.  It is totally screened in, and has a suspended staircase.
Come see us!  Where else can you stay at a lovely Bed and Breakfast where
you can enjoy a full gourmet breakfast prepared in a totally gluten free
kitchen?

Anne and Papa Joe Barfield

606 Jackson Keller Road

San Antonio, Texas 78216