From:
"Vicki E. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki E. Jones
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:31:48 -0500

Dear Listmates -
What a wonderful, caring group!
This is long, but has a great list of Chicago-area gastros who see adults
with Celiac Disease (whatever the present gastrointestinal problem is
that you are seeking help for):

Here is the information:
1. Mark T. DeMeo, MD
Has a whole clinic devoted to Celiac patients. Another listmate said
sees mostly Celiac patients. Several listmates suggested him.
Also sees patients for Nutritional appointments and has a specialty
in Nutrition.

At Rush University Medical Center (Rush Presbyterian)
1725 W. Harrison, Suite 206, Chicago 60612
(in the Professional Building)
Phone: 312 942-5861
Fax: 312 563-3883

Dr. DeMeo sees patients at Rush; and also at their Oak Park facility.
Usually takes several weeks to get in, but if you call
at 4 p.m. on a Wednesday, you may get in on a new patient
cancellation for the next day in Chicago.

There is also a female doctor, Ece A. Mutlu MD, listed on Rush's roster
as interested in Celiac disease, with an interest in complementary and
alternative
medicine and the role of nutrition, but no one mentioned her.

2. Carol Semrad MD, at the University of Chicago
Phone: 773 702-6140
Dr. Semrad is only there one day a week, and is booked
for several weeks, plus there is already a waiting list. Hard to
get in to see.

3. Samir Patel, MD
    9921 Southwest Highway
    Oak Lawn, IL 60453
    Phone: 708 425-9456

Marcie Harvey, a wonderful, caring person who heads the Southside
Celiacs support group in the Chicago area, says that more than half of
the members of the group go to Dr. Patel. She also called me, and went
to bat for me to get me in within the next week. She put Dr. Patel's
Medical Assistant, Laurie, in touch with me. She says Dr. Patel is gentle
and cares deeply about his patients. He is very knowledgeable.

4. Dr. Ira Hanan at University of Chicago - Celiac Disease is not his
specialty, but he is knowledgeable about it.
Phone: 773 702-6140

5. Dr. Holand at Naperville Clinic. The listmate had not actually been to
this doctor, but the doctor had been recommended to her by someone.

6. Call Michelle Melin-Rogovin, at the U of Chicago Celiac Disease
program, for a referral. I did, and she called back and suggested Dr.
Semrad. Again,
Dr. Semrad was booked for quite some time. Another listmate said she had
suggested Dr. DeMeo (see above) at Rush, and Dr. Semrad and Dr. Rubin at
U of Chicago. One listmate preferred Dr. Rubin over Dr. Semrad, but said he
is booked 3 months ahead (unless there is a waiting list and you get in on
cancellations).

7.  Dr. Keracic at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago

8. Dr. Pauline Harding in Winfield

9. For alternative medicine, Dr. Mercola in Schaumburg

10. One listmate had been seen by Dr. Guandalini at U of Chicago, some
time ago, even though he is usually a pediatric gastroenterologist.

There you have it!
Thank you, everyone!
Vicki in Homewood, IL