From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:48:36 EDT

Senate Bill 2499 has passed unanimously from the HELP Committee. The Bill has
already undergone some major changes, but still is an excellent compromise
and possibly offers the celiac community a better package in the long run.
The revised Bill should be posted in the CFR soon. It may receive a different
number.

Things need to move quickly now. The final report will be written and it is
hoped the Bill will be passed through the Senate by unanimous consent. The
bill will not be given floor time, so unanimous consent or packaging it with
other bills may be the only way to get it through the Senate.

The House has a copy of the Bill. Reports indicate the House members are not
receptive to the Bill.

What needs to be done now!
Again call your senators and representatives, send emails, faxes, and
letters. If you are in Washington DC, stop by their offices. Tell them how
important this Bill is to your health. Ask them to support it. Do it again -
even if you have already done it before!

Republicans are generally looking out for businesses and not your interest.
This is the group we have to convince to support this bill.

Although there is still a long ways to go, I want to personally thank
everyone who wrote, called, and visited their congressmen. You did make a
difference. I also want to thank Dr. Fasano, who took the time to meet with
the HELP committee, to educate them, and provide data about celiac disease.
He also spent hours offering expert advice as changes were made to protect
the needs of people with celiac disease.  He stands as the champion of this
cause.

To see the Bill: http://thomas.loc.gov/ Today the site still reflects the old
version
To contact your representatives: http://www.senate.gov/     Senators