From:
Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 22:00:14 -0400

Celiac friends,
Need some advice.  I have suffered with recurring  attacks of vertigo for
over 40 years, sometimes frequent, sometimes none for many months.  I have
been gluten-free for about 15 years.  I have believed for most of the last
15 years that there must be some connection between the vertigo (not
dizzyness, this is literal "falling-down" - "can't walk a straight line" -
"begin vomiting when you turn your head" -  vertigo.)  Despite avoiding
gluten, I still kept getting these attacks.  Often couldn't even get out of
bed to go to work (or even get up to go to the bathroom without sliding my
way along the wall, feeling like I was on a roller-coaster and in tears,
moaning. )

Few months ago, I learned I am also unable to tolerate yeast, egg, casein
and chocolate.  Had no vertigo since eliminating all these foods.  Not even
in the spring when all the seasonal allergies worsen and the vertigo is at
its worst.   Until today!  when I was in TJ Maxx and it hit me in the
Clearance aisles and everything started revolving, then came the nausea, the
headache (sometimes migraine with the vertigo - not always.)  Came right
home and took my Benadryl.  I take antihistamines (Allegra seemed to work
best until I was told by my pharmacist that the new formulation is not g-f
but now I'm hearing conflicting stories about that.)  But antihistamines
knock me out and really aren't all that helpful.  Ditto for Valium and
Antivert (antihistamine too, I believe.)

Now I'm wondering why I never thought to pose the question to the group
before.  Anybody else share the problem?  what causes it for you?  more
importantly, is there anything you find to be really effective?  finally,
might it have anything, in your opinions, to do with the fact that I had a
huge breakfast of pancakes made with my new egg-replacer  -- with really
alot of syrup (g-f.)  This is not my usual soy shake or peanut butter on
crackers - type breakfast.  This is all refined carbs (I don't do very well
with all-sugar meals/snacks, g-f or not--)  Does a high-carb meal trigger
the vertigo somehow?

Can't seem to find alot of information on relationship between vertigo and
celiac and/or other food-sensitivities anywhere.  Any thoughts would be much
appreciated -- or at least tell me that there is a connection here
somewhere.  And please, how do you stop it?

Thanks in advance --
Ruth (in Virginia)