Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 00:49:03 -0500

I have been wondering lately if using spray starch while ironing clothes
poses any problems for celiacs.

Does anyone know what kind of starches are used in spray starch?

My husband, who is the celiac, was ironing a shirt the other day.  As
soon as he began using a new brand of spray starch we had just bought, he
went into an asthmatic coughing spell.  He has asthma that is set off by
various allergies & celiac reactions.   It could have been something he
was simply "allergic" to in that product.  But it did make me wonder
about spray starch and possible celiac reactions too.  (It's the first
time I've seen my husband actually react with a mild asthma attack to
something.  Usually, when he reacts to something, he just has a little
more trouble getting deep breaths).

By the way, the next day he went back to using the old brand and had no
reaction.

Anyone have information on spray starches?  I'll post a summary.

Thanks.

Debbie
upstate NY