Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 22:54:29 +0100

I was sent two messages about my recent post about using flax seed
instead of egg. One person suggested using whole seeds instead of
grinding the seeds. The other person sent this message with details
about using whole seeds to make an egg replacer.

"There's an easier way to do this recipe:  take one rounded tablespoon
of flax seed and place in a cup of water, then bring water and flax seed
to a boil.  Boil for about 3 minutes or until thickened.  Take pot off
stove and cool.  One- fourth cup of this mixture equals one egg.  (You
may not have used enough of it in your pancakes).  You can leave the
seeds in the mixture; they don't have any taste.  I make pancakes all
the time with this recipe and they come out great.  This will work in
any baking or other recipe where egg is not a factor in how the recipe
tastes; also real eggs make things rise better than the flaxseed
mixture.  Otherwise, there is a lot you can do with the flaxseed egg
substitute."