From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 14:23:59 +0100

For the pasta:
75 grams (3oz) GF bread flour mix ( - a proprietory mix
   containing guar gum in unknown amount)
25 grams (1oz) guaranteed GF buckwheat flour - if you can't
   get this a more boring version uses 100g (4oz) of the bread
   flour mix.
20 grams (about 2 tbs) cooking oil - I use olive oil or
   maize oil or sunflower oil
20 grams milk (about 2 desert spoons)
one medium egg

I make this on electronic scales simply re-zeroing after
each of the ingredients, then take the bowl off and mix.
The mix will probably be too wet and will need more flour
added until it becomes like a good non-GF pastry in
consistency.  Work for 2 - 3 minutes then roll in a ball,
wrap in cling film and put to one side for an hour or so.

For the fill:
1 large onion chopped
110 grams (4 oz) chopped green pepper
225 grams (8 oz) chopped courgettes (zuchini)
110 grams (4 oz) sliced mushrooms
400 gram tin (14 oz tin) Italian tomatoes chopped
1 tbs GF tomato puree
175 ml (6 fl oz) red wine
1 tsp chopped dried Basil
1 tsp chopped dried Oregano (fresh herbs can be substituted
   but you'll need a good deal more)
1-2 tbs olive oil (for frying)
Garlic to taste - original recipe uses 1 clove we use 4
salt and fresh milled black pepper

For the sauce:
3 tbs rice flour
2 tbs cooking oil (as above)
350 ml (12 fl oz) milk
grated mace (to taste - we use about a half tsp)
110 grams (4 oz) grated cheese
grated parmesan to sprinkle on top.

Turn on the oven to 200 C (400 F)

Make the fill by frying the onion and peppers over a medium
heat for about 5 min until they are soft then add
mushrooms, courgettes (zucchini) and garlic and cook for
another 5 min stirring to prevent too much browning.  Add
the tomatoes, tomato puree, wine and seasoning and turn the
heat down.  Let them simmer for 10 mins, then add herbs.

While the fill is simmering, make the sauce:

Make the sauce by heating the oil and flour and mixing the
milk in with a whisk.  When it begins to thicken take from
the heat, add cheese and seasoning + mace and stir well.
If you cook it too long it goes stringy which feels
unpleasant in the mouth.

Split the pasta ball into two and roll out to about 1 mm
(sixteenth of an inch) thick on a floured surface with a
floured rolling pin. I have a non-stick rolling pin which
is really good for GF work.

Now put half the fill as a layer in your dish and lay the
first sheet of pasta on (tucking in the edges if it's too
big). Then put the rest of the fill on, roll out the second
half of the pasta and lay it on.

Pour the sauce over and spread it all over the pasta so it
is completely covered (if the sauce is too thick warm it
slightly or add a little milk).

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese then bake in the preheated
oven for 35 - 40 minutes.

We recommend a salad of white cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes,
peppers and onion with this (with home made french
dressing!)

Finally, this recipe started life in "The Food Aid Cookery
Book" published to help Africa.  It starts with the
following scripture from Nehemia 8 "Go, eat the fat, drink
the sweet wine, and send a portion to the man who has
nothing..."

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209