From:
John Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:10:06 -0500

Thank you all for your replies. I had a wonderful time in Austin and am
very strongly considering heading their for grad school as a result of
my experiences.

The Shoreline Grill was excellent. I emailed them, and a few days later
got a call back from the manager, Jan. She didn't end up being there the
night I was, but she had put a waitress in charge of making sure I had
everything I needed. She seemed to have forgotten that I was reactive to
more than wheat, but the cook was aware. The food was *delicious*--had
salmon with a red sauce, potatoes, and fried string beans, followed by
berries for dessert. My one complaint is that they served me the berries
with a stick of chocolate, telling me as they put them before me that I
couldn't eat the chocolate. Well, why put it in there? Ahh, well. I'll
definitely go back if I ever need a place for a fancy date.

I also ate at a place called the Iron Cactus. The salsa was OK for me,
and I think I went through about two baskets of chips (I never bother
asking about corn chips anymore, since they're always OK, but I had no
reaction). When I told the waitress what I was allergic to, she brought
out the manager, who was extremely helpful. Unfortunately, the marinade
for the fajitas was premade--but they have no problem cooking a chicken
breast with just lime juice, some cumin, and some salt and pepper. I
didn't mess with the beans or rice. The corn tortillas were WONDERFUL.
Tasted fresh, didn't crack and fall apart like most corn tortillas.

The Liberty Tavern in the Hilton Austin was pretty nice about
accommodating me (I think someone recommended it to me). They made me an
omelet without the milk, cooked in oil. Since they didn't want to risk
giving me the sides, the waitress substituted in a smoothie for me.
Quite delicious.

Nearly everyone in Texas wrote in to tell me about the Wildwood Cafe,
which has a very large GF selection. One person claimed to have had a
reaction there once or twice, but still goes back. I didn't make it to
Wildwood because it would have cost me cab fare (not being downtown) and
I am poor. I will go next time.

Several people mentioned that Whole Foods is headquartered in Austin. We
went for lunch on my last day, and it was way awesome. They had gluten
free breads which I couldn't try because all contained dairy. I did,
however, purchase a GFCF carrot cake, which I am still working my way
through. It's delicious. They also have ingredient lists on all of the
foods in the dining area. Get this: I actually had multiple choices of
things to eat. I didn't know how to handle this, so I had my friend pick
for me. I had the rotisserie chicken (salt, pepper, oil, chicken), the
sweet potato (orange juice, sweet potato, brown sugar, cinnamon, one or
two other things), and the cajun potatoes (some confusion about the
ingredients here, I realized later, but no reaction). It was all
delicious, and the outdoor dining area in the sunshine made my day. I
threatened to go inside corporate headquarters and hug everyone, one by one.

I did not get to eat at UT, and am still waiting to hear back from
recent alums. I will summarize when it gets through.

If there are any questions, please feel free to email me. Make the
subject something like Re: Austin, Texas Dining, so I can tell the
difference between it and all the spam I get.

Cheers,
John
Virginia Tech

*******