From:
"Rebecca W. Buffum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 21:02:20 -0800

Hi everyone!

Well, my trip to Nepal was fantastic and we are home safe and sound! So
many of you gave me great advice and support I thought I'd let you know
how it went.

For the days we spent in Kathmandu I stuck to Dal Baht- rice and
lentils- the lentils are spicy and very garlicky which gave me some
stomach trouble, but I don't think there was a gluten issue. It is
possible that there was vurry powder used, which can be suspect. I
packed my own food for breakfast- (Dr. McDougalls instant rice pudding,
canned fruit, Balance Bars, dried fruit) and a few instant soups and
cans of chicken for emergencies- Heavy to pack but wise.

Food on the actual trek was fantastic- our guide had been informed of my
restrictions but I didn't know how well he really understood the
problem. I ate like a queen- Rice porridge every morning- potatoes,
rice, lentils, yak cheese, peanut butter for lunch, and generally more
of the same for dinner. Again- curry powder was sometimes used, but it
never gave me a problem. Our cook went out of his way for me, despite
the huge language barrier- he even made me  a crustless Nepalese quiche
on one of our rest days! Weight loss was my main concern- I did lose a
few pounds, but had gained 5 before we left. And those few were quick to
come back on when I got home and stopped walking!! I felt totally
healthy and strong the entire trip. I had a few stomach problems in
Kathmandu, but I think that's par for the course.

Thai Air served me THREE gluten free meals on each leg of the trip-
generally bland, sometimes overcooked, but always GF!

And on a non- celiac note, the trek was incredible- Nepal is a wild and
beautiful place and I reccommend it to anyone who wants an adventure!

Thanks to all who wrote to me before my trip!

Becca
Fairfax, CA