From:
Jack&Phyllis Maines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:55:20 -0600

Last month I posted some thoughts about the similarity of colic (in
horses) and coeliac aggravation in  humans due to accidental gluten
ingestion.  Although the two words are obviously closely related
(kolikos and koelikos- in Greek)  the similarity seemingly stops there.
A veterinarian informed me that colic in horses had many causes other
than  overeating oats.(plant toxins, drugs, sand in the food and 30 or
so others) and did so by altering the bacterial balance of the gut.  To
me this would be similar to what happens to humans from lactose
intolerance, "gas forming" food  (cabbage and bean families), eating too
fast, not chewing enough, etc.  He (the veterinarian) discounted the
value of excercizing  the horse other than to keep him from lying down
and rolling over and causing a possible twist or kink in his intestine.
He also said coeliac is unknown in horses although their diet consists
of wholy of grasses and grains.

On the other subject of  the value of excercize for symptomatic relief
of accidental  gluten ingestion, there were several strongly positive
"amens".  One from a woman who said "I learnd that if I went out for a
good brisk walk I would feel so much better, almost and instant cure. My
son finds the same thing...  So much better than popping a prrozac.  It
takes "guts" as you want to curl up and die..."  A man whose celiac
wife, an artist, uses her arms and shoulders in making prints and gets
"down" when she can't. Another woman found that excercizing during the
required upright half hour wait between taking Fosmax and eating was
helpful in other ways she hadn't expected (unfortunately, I have lost
her note, so I can't quote).  Another wrote that excercizing and
drinking lots of water was helpful.

Thank you all for your generous responses.  Jack Maines