Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:34:38 EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Apr 26 - Adding moderate amounts of oats to a
gluten-free diet does not inhibit clinical or small bowel mucosal healing in
children with celiac disease, results of a study published in the May issue of Gut
suggest. Oats are also tolerated by the majority of such children.
"Treatment of celiac disease requires lifelong adherence to a strict
gluten-free diet which hitherto has consisted of a diet free of wheat, rye, barley,
and oats," Dr. Lotta Hogberg, of Linkoping University, in Norrkoping, Sweden,
and colleagues write. However, "recent studies, mainly in adults, have shown
that oats are non-toxic to celiac disease patients."
The researchers examined whether children with celiac disease can tolerate
oats in their gluten-free diet. In a double-blind, multicenter study, a total of
116 newly diagnosed celiac disease patients were randomly assigned to a
standard gluten-free diet (GFD-std) or a gluten-free diet with the addition of
wheat-free oat products (GFD-oats).
The investigators performed small bowel biopsy at baseline and at the end of
the 1-year study. They monitored serum IgA antigliadin, antiendomysium, and
antitissue transglutaminase antibodies at baseline, 3, 6, and 12 months
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/474581?src=mp
Please, no discussions on oats. I can't eat them. It gives me a gluten
reaction.  I am just taking the article for you to read.
Rosalie (NJ)