From:
Dan Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:27:26 -0500

Thanks to all for the great and helpfull responses.  A number of folks pointed out the great web site called glutenfreeinsd.com that has many restaurants listed.  I've summarized the other responses below:

- call the hotel in advance to make sure the chef knows you're coming.

- I have eaten brunch at the Del on several occassions.  If you request with your reservation, the chef will actually walk you around the brunch and let you know what's safe or not.

There is a Von's on Coronado and they do have some gluten free foods.  Henry's (closest one will be in Point Loma) has a ton of GF options. There is also a Boney's Bayside Marketplace near the Ferry Landing on Coronado.  Not sure if they have as many GF options as Henry's does.

For a yummy treat, we just discovered this shop has GF gelato: http://www.bottegaitaliana.com/gelato.htm

There is a Sammy's downtown and in Point Loma, where you can enjoy GF pizza and other dinner and dessert options. We have eaten at Miguel's in Coronado, and while the options were limited (and you couldn't eat the chips or their signature white jalepeno dip), we did have fajitas with corn torillas that were very good. The manager was very friendly and helpful.  Many of the dining options in Coronado are on the upscale side and we have found willing to work with you if you call ahead, and are kind and communicative.  I have heard also that the Il Fornaio on Coronado has GF pasta and other options, but you should call ahead and confirm availability.

Downtown, we have had great GF dinners at Cafe Chloe, Flemings, The Old Spaghetti Factory (more family oriented and limited GF menu, but beautiful historic building),  Currant Brasserie, Mary Janes (dinner only at HardRock Hotel, they custom made a chicken dish for us) off the top of my head.  Only the Spaghetti Factory and Flemings have GF menus.

- IL Fornaio in Coronado was excellent. There is also a gelato place which is very good (see above).

- I sometimes have the fish tacos at the Brigantine across the street from the Del. Be careful to get the non-breaded ones, though.  I have found the Brigantine is generally fairly gluten-free aware. Also, there is a Burger Lounge on Coronado.  My daughter also recommends the salads at a pizza place on Coronado a couple of blocks from the Del (on a corner and has outside tables).

I think we will be totally satisfied with our GF experience in San Diego after reading all the recommendations.  Thanks again to all who responded.
Dan