From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 20:19:05 -0800

Debra and dear listmembers,

I have had <relapses> of symptoms before when there seemed to be no
gluten-related cause. And there may not have been.  Here is what I
discovered:

1) After being on the strictest diet for some time I find that when I am
busy I tend to eat store-bought GF foods like bread, pasta, crackers, puff
rice, etc.  I have noticed that I must moderate my use of these foods, and
be good about cooking brown rice and potatoes for my carbohydrates.
Otherwise I experience an often undetectable decline until I find that my
repertoire of symptoms (respiratory, skin, fatigue, irritability...) has
returned. Whether this is a contamination issue or a processed
carbohydrates vs. fresh carbohydrates issue is beyond me.

2) Last year (excuse me for repetition, list veterans) I experienced acute
gastro symptoms that were the same as the accidental gluten reactions I had
after I went off of gluten grains. I started an elimination diet and a food
log so that I could feel better and figure out the culprit. I took a closer
look at labels of everything I'd eaten prior to the reactions, and saw that
canola oil was the common denominator. (My sensitivity  was confirmed by an
accidental canola ingestion a few weeks later.)

It isn't my intention to claim that you or any other celiac is sensitive to
canola (rapeseed) oil, but that by going back to basic foods and adding
your normal foods back in slowly you can get a lot of information about any
existing food intolerances that you may have. I checked in with my doctor
first and recommend that anyone does that when they change their diet.  I
also reported back to her with my discovery and how I felt a lot better.

3) I have learned to be aware of more things, thanks to this list. Tomato
paste used to give me trouble, so I am doing fine with a very nice sauce
that omits it.  The mention of casein has made me more aware of what my
respiratory system does when I eat my low-lactose products.  I am returning
to the office workplace soon and will abstain from all dairy so that my
sinuses will be on their best behavior.

I am also very grateful for all the working world survival tips and solicit
any further suggestions.

Good luck, Debra.

Mary
LA