From:
Andi DesJardins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 12:11:41 EDT

Hi all...

Well, the results are in from last week's biopsy - my small intestine looks
healthy and the biopsy showed no sign of celiac.  The GI thinks that since I'm
still having symptoms, my intestines are showing no damage, and only the IgG
antigliadin antibodies were elevated that my problem isn't celiac.  He's
testing me for delayed gastric emptying, but says if that comes back normal then
he's at a loss.  Got the big shoulder shrug "get out of my office I have a tee
time to catch" kind of attitude too.  I'm pissed to say the least, and it isn't
as if I have alot of choice except to find another doctor "Outside" (i.e.
somewhere in the lower 48).

My next step is going to be to see an allergist for food allergen testing.
My husband and I have been trying to figure out what I might be allergic to,
and we're thinking that rather than the specific foods that seem to have
bothered me, it might be MOLD on those foods.  There just hasn't really been much
rhyme or reason to my symptoms.

Anyway, I dream of finding a doctor who will finally ask the right questions.
 I went in all prepared to tell this guy everything, but was only asked a few
questions and given a few minutes to relay my symptoms.  It is so frustrating
to KNOW something is wrong, but not be able to get that point across.  SIGH.

So, my question is... I'm still having digestive problems despite being at
least 97% gluten free (I'm sure I run into small amounts of hidden gluten from
time to time but I don't seem to react to it) for the last 6 months, and my
small intestine was just given a clean bill of health.  My blood tests are
basically normal except for the IgG antigliaddin Antibody.  I feel better off
gluten, but not great unless I'm taking handfulls of dietary supplements.  Does this
sound like it could still be a tough case of celiac or maybe just a
sensitivity or allergy?

Thanks, I'll summarize.

Peace,
Andi in Alaska