From:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:13:10 -0800

  I am again placing the Angel Food Cake recipe on the list serv. I have had numerous questions, (not to mention one insult!) Hope this clears up those questions.

        ANGEL FOOD CAKE – GF     Easy & Delicious!!   Keith’s B.D Cake

   14 large egg whites (1 c)
   1/2 c cornstarch
   1/2 tsp salt
   1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
   1 c powdered sugar (10X sugar)
   1/2 c potato starch (this is the flour used in this recipe)
   2/3 c regular sugar
   2 tsp. almond extract
  ****  Egg whites must be at room temp. (Can put the eggs in a bowl of hot water to bring them quickly to room temp.)

  Sift together: confectioners sugar, potato starch & cornstarch.  Set aside.
  Measure regular sugar & set aside.

  Place in large glass bowl or metal bowl:  (Do Not use plastic bowls.)
egg whites, cream of tartar, salt. W/ mixer on high, beat
until mixture is well blended. Continue to beat, slowly adding the regular sugar to the beaten egg whites.
 Beat just until sugar is dissolved & whites form stiff peaks.

   Gently fold in sifted potato starch, corn starch & confectioners sugar mixture about one-fourth at a time, folding just enough so the potato starch, corn starch & confectioners sugar mixture  disappears. Pour batter into ungreased tube pan & cut through to break any air bubbles. Bake 35 min at 375°, or until tops springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven & invert pan to cool cake.  Remove cake only when completely cool.

  By the way, you can save the egg yolks and use for omelets, etc. Some folks have suggested using pasturized egg whites. Never tried this.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
      I am a little lost with your directions. Will you explain them more clearly?  In other words do you put the eggs in with sugar etc?  What does it mean stir 10x sugar and flour. Does this mean put sugar and flour in with eggs and stir them ten times?

  Thanks
  Joey