From:
"Ronald Hoggan, Queen Elizabeth High School" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 1995 20:00:38 -0700

Don,
Do you know of any other North American studies? I don't share the
optomistic view that we have as low a rate of celic as that in Europe.
Many of us have some native heritage. North American natives have had
very little time to evolve the capacity to digest wheat. Additionally,
because my GP knows I surf the net, she asked me to see if any research
had been done on anemia in native women. She said it is rife among natives
. A very small part of my heritage is North American native . (My great-
grandmother was metis.) I don't know if that is where the celiac genes
came from in me. If, as I suspect, a fair slice of the population has
some native blood, then we might have even more celiacs than Europe.
We might call it other names though, like ms and idiopathic neuropathies,
and idiopathic anemias, etc. etc.

I am looking for those other references, but I'm a little more disorganized
than usual due to a recent move.
Sincerely,
Ron