From:
Jessica R Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica R Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:42:06 -0400

Hello folks. I've searched the posts, but I've only been able to find
discourse on osteopenia and older women. I was diagnosed at 21 with
osteopenia in my hips and spine. After one year of denial, and one
year of moderate exercise and calcium supplements, the bones in my hips
have moved into the low normal range (no longer in the osteopenia range).
My spine has improved slightly but is still in the osteopenia range (I'm
sorry that I don't have exact numbers). My doctor wants to put me on
fosomax or another similar brand, but I'm scared of the implications of
taking these drugs at such a young age. I also feel that if I continue
to exercise and eat a calcium-rich diet I will be able to build my bone
mass. So my questions are:

1) Have any of you taken osteopenia medication in your 20's or 30's? If
so, what were the side affects/results?

2) Has anyone diagnosed with osteopenia been able to reverse it
through diet and exercise alone?

3) I walk, jog and lift 4 lb. weights. Any suggestions on other good
exercises for building up my spine?

For those interested: I was diagnosed with Celiac at age 2, told at age 10
that I was "cured", began feeling sick in my late teens, was rediagnosed
at age 20 and have been on a strict gluten-free diet ever since. I know
that this has contributed to my osteopenia.

Thank you all for your help!!
-Jessica