Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:52:46 +0000

"Selman's chef was on local TV showing how they make their hamburgers.  To keep the thick burgers moist while grilling they soak white bread in milk and add it to the meat.  Sure not for celiacs!!!!!

GFRAP has made contact with Chef Dave Del Rio, Lee Roy Selmon's Director of Research and Development.  His response is below:
"This is a misunderstanding. The Selmon's burgers do not have any bread in them. The formula used for production has not changed.
The TV spot the post referred to was a spot done about how to make a Selmon's Home-Style burger and a tip for keeping a home style burger from drying out when cooked to 165 degrees. Many of the recipes that I do on these TV shows are not the exact recipes that we use in the restaurant, but are adaptations for the home cook.
I apologize if this caused concerns for our gluten-free customers. I assure you this is an important part of our business and I keep our recipes up to date with careful and vigilant caution as to the ingredients and seasoning blends used in our GF menu.
I am the Executive Chef and Director of Culinary for Selmon's and am available for any further questions you may have.
Chef Dave Del Rio

Madelyn Smith
GIG Program Manager
Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program