From:
Carol Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:41:28 -0500

My symptoms are atypical, but I have found a dramatic correlation with
gluten by doing diet trials of gluten-free for 5 or 10 days, then gluten
load for a day or two.  The same day I eat gluten, I get all-over-body
aching arthritis (probably more accurately called arthralgia) and persistent
heart rhythym irregularities.  These symptoms last for two or three days
after I stop eating gluten, then stop.  I have no gastrointestinal symptoms
to speak of, except for occasional vague stomachaches which I expected would
correlate with the gluten, but they didn't and instead seem possibly
associated with dairy.  I've had these symptoms for two or three years but
the correlation between gluten and the symptoms is hard to notice when
eating normally (ie variable amounts of gluten most days)  It's a long story
why I even came to suspect gluten, except that my brother was diagnosed with
celiac as a child back in the 50's.  (I am 50 yo).

When I asked for the celiac blood tests, my doctor flatly said those were
not symptoms of celiac.  She asked about diarrhea, weight loss, etc.  She
ordered the blood tests anyway, but the results came back negative. (I
really had not gone gluten-free for more than a few days at a time, and I
truly expected the tests to be positive). So now I am pondering whether to
continue pursuing a "real" diagnosis.  I have read the archive file on this
question, and I appreciate the reasons to get a diagnosis.  But for one
thing I wonder whether I can even find a doctor who will recognize my
symptoms.  I have found a few references to cardiac symptoms on the web, but
it seems uncommon and poorly understood.  My second concern is whether
continuing to eat gluten will cause real damage to my heart.  What little I
have read makes it seem like this is a real possibility.  In a way I am
lucky that the correlation between gluten and my symptoms is so obvious (at
least to me).  I feel so much better in just a few days that I feel
motivated to stay gluten-free.

I am interested in feedback from those of you with more knowledge and
experience.  In spite of my brother's diagnosis, it's only recently that I
am learning the current information about celiac.  Thanks for any advice.

Carol