From:
Cat Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:30:52 EST

Thank you all for your responses re:....Here's my problem that I hope
some of you can respond to.  Everytime I break out, I also get sciatica
pain down my legs.  I think that it is because the rash breaks out right
over these nerve bundles on my lower back......Has anyone who has DH,
ever had this kind of experience, especially if you break out in the
lumbosacral region?> Cat Before listing summaries of your replys...This
is the reply that I got from Doctor Joseph Murray:

No experience with DH leading to sciatica.

CD can cause neuropathy but that is usually a fixed type of neuropathy  not
intermittent.

I can not provide medical advice without the opportunity to see the patient.
I am happy to share my experience in treating celiac disease with any
physician who wishes to call me.

Any information provided is general information and should not be applied to
any individual patient.

Joseph A Murray MD

Is it possible you could have shingles?

......LEDERKYN by Lederle Laboratories, an unlisted drug in the sulpha
family, issued only on a named patient basis only, and means a blood test
before and every week you take it....Clinical name for LEDERKYN is:
SULPHAMETHOXPYRIDAZINE (a sulphanomide)   initial dose is shown as 2 pills (1
gram) first day, then 1 pill (0.5 gram) maintenance dose.    I was given
three a day, which raised cain with my bloods tests, which shot all over the
place.   You apparently can start or stop at will unlike antobiotics.=

Cat,  your guess sounds very plausible to me. If the sciatica gets too
troublesome, maybe you can find a good accupuncturist there.

It is a typical DH story!  First about the sciatic nerve.  Two years ago
I had shingles on the right leg and up to the buttocks and it left me with
pain in that area for a year.  I had DH rash on elbows, knees and buttocks,
and treated it with Dapsone and Doprolene ointment.  Somewhere I have an
article by Dr. John Zone of the Veteran's Hospital in Salt Lake City and this
is the gist of what he says.

DH is diagnosed by skin biopsy.

Often there is minimal damage to the intestine.

The panel of blood tests for Celiac Disease may be normal in a
patient with DH.
The DH gene is the sister gene to Lupus.
The fact is that gluten can damage the systems in several different ways.
The "classic celiac" which goes to the intestine.
The skin reaction as in DH.
The neurological reaction as in Autism and Schizophrenia.
Lymphatic system results in cancer
etc

....Yes, the biopsy for the DH is the best way to go.  Do it once, twice,
whatever it takes.....

-------------------

.... it certainly sounds to me like Herpes simplex - I don't think anyone
ever taught that dermatitis herpetiformis caused neurological pain down the
sciatic distribution. The "herpetiformis" in DH means that the individual
lesions look a lot like herpes lesions....Have you considered contacting Dr.=

Fine for his newly developed stool test for anti-gliadin antibodies? Go to
www.finerhealth.com

--------------------------------------

Wow!  Your diagnosis sounds like mine to the T!  I'd
hate to change doctors now and have to start all over!
I did get DH on my lower back, but never had leg
pains (thank goodness).

I would recommend trying to find a Dr. that specializes in Dermatitis
Herpetiformis.  You are correct, if  you are compliant with the diet, your
blood work will be negative.....  www.betterhealthusa.com is where I went
(mailed the blood).  They have a money back guarantee if you don't get better
in 3 months!

I always get leg and arm pains, and the "DH" rash with accidental ingestion.
I was also told that I appear to have an ODD form of shingles - a
herpes/chicken pox virus, that apparently thrives on wheat and the
malabsorption and illness before going on the diet can let it take over
various parts of the body.......I have been on Valtrex, an anti viral
medication for a year, and it seems to help - but accidentally eating
something still causes the breakouts no matter what - so who knows.

I had such severe pain in my muscles and nerves and especially low back
that I could hardly move for years. After going gluten and dairy free
for two weeks the pain went away. ......I had some fried chicken with
breading from a restaurant. For three days I have been ill but the major
thing I want to say is that once again I have the severe muscle/nerve pain.
There can be no doubt.

Sounds a lot like shingles...especially if it's only on one side

I have the same problems with dh that you have i also brake out behind
my knees a lot amoung other places it just comes and goes i cant put any
pattern to it when it gets real bad i will start taking Claritin and it
helps a lot .....

Yes, I too get the DH rash in the same region, and I also have trouble with
sciatica, but it has never occurred to me that they might be related.

...... If it is bilateral, it is most likely DH, but if it is on one
side or the other it may be shingles, (herpes).  Shingles usually occurs
on just one side and very seldom on both at the same time.  Shingles can
definantly effect the nerves that are close to it because it is an
infection  of the nerve itself and can cause permanent damage in that
nerve also.....