From:
Vickie Puffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:00:14 EST

I'm giving up on my current gastroenterologist and will find a new one after
the holidays.  (He's the one who acted miffed by my internist's suggestion of
gluten-sensitive enteropathy, and who also seemed intimidated dealing with an
informed patient.)

On one visit he said we should pursue a definite diagnosis--I agreed--and he
ordered a blood test for gluten allergy.  Last week he told me the test was
negative--I don't have sprue--and then said I don't need him any more.  He
dictated a letter to the internist, returning me to his care.  What about the
"definite diagnosis"?!  I was so stunned by this obvious dismissal that I
didn't even ask about further testing.

I don't understand.  Don't I need a diagnosis?  Shouldn't I know for certain
if I have CD, or what?  I've exhibited many CD symptoms, except that I have
not lost weight nor had significant diarrhea.  And I don't have extreme
reactions when ingesting gluten, like many others on the list do have.  Plus,
I am considerably overweight, but I read that does not necessarily rule out
CD.  Unfortunately (or "fortunately," depending on how you look at it), the
internist put me on a gluten-free diet before I knew better.  The GF diet has
helped tremendously, but the unknown worries me.

Is there such a thing as just having an "intolerance" to gluten, whereby no
damage is being done to my body?  Should I pursue a definite diagnosis, or
just stick to the GF diet the best I can and wait to see if anything else
develops?  I've had SO many health problems this year which have caused a
problem with depression, for which I'm now taking medication.

I'm confused and don't know what to do.  Any guidance or suggestions would be
sincerely appreciated.  I'll be setting the list to "no mail" after 12/23, but
replies can still be sent to me at the address below.

I thank God for you all every day!  May your holidays be magnificent and
'OOPS-free' (as far as gluten is concerned, that is).

Vickie P in Indiana