From:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:41:54 -0500

Hello all,

I have been GF for eight years but recently had my first visit to a gastro
due to recurrent intestinal problems that seem to clear up with use of an
antibiotic. (this happened 3x over the past year)

The gastro said he could tell if I was celiac, even after 8 years GF, by
doing an upper GI and taking a biopsy of my doudenum. Has anyone ever heard
of this being true?  Anyone out there diagnosed this way?

 I am scheduled to have both upper and lower GI on Jan. 31st.   I know I
must have the lower GI, but am not sure I want to have the upper just to
get the biopsy.  I have fibromyalgia and have a lot of problems with my
neck and jaw muscles. I often go into severe pain for days to weeks after
having simple dental work done.  I hate to think what intubation would do
to my jaw.

Please, anyone, if you do have experience with Duodenal Biopsy, please let
me know what you think. I would like to have a definitive diagnosis, if
possible, after all this time, but have never heard of this method.

The doctor IS experienced with celiac; he was referred to me from someone
on the list, whom he diagnosed. He did, however, doubt that my diet was
strict enough to avoid damage.  I am pretty strict, although I do use the
same toaster as my mate, eat products with vinegar, etc.

Megan Harding
Public Relations / Marketing Coordinator
Kent State University
University Communications and Marketing
P.O. Box 5190
Kent, OH  44240