From:
Lisa Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:40:05 -0500

My post was:
Hello everyone,

I'm turning to all of you experts first.  I had arthroscopic surgery Friday morning on my right knee (I had torn my meniscus).  I was given general anesthesia and felt very nauseous afterwards.  While still in the hospital, I was given morphine three times for pain and a medicine that might be called Zochol or something like that (I was so woozy, I can't completely remember) for nausea.  I have been home taking basically liquids and am still getting a lot of nausea and just vomitted.  What I'm wondering is could I have been given anything via IV or via the anesthia that I should ask about, in other words, could this be a gluten reaction or simply an after surgery reaction?  I'm planning on calling the surgeon to see what he recommends, but I knew some of you may know what I forgot to ask about pre-surgery medicine-wise.

Thanks so much in advance, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Lisa
(Chicago area)

7 thought I was reacting to the anesthesia or pain pills
5 thought I was reacting to the Morphine
1 thought it was a gluten reaction and suggested I take Veratrum Album 30c

Comments sent to me:
All IVs and drugs you breathe in are safe - aka gluten-free (one who said this is a pharmicist and doctor who specializes in Celiac Disease).

The nausea med I was given in the hospital was Zofran, not Zochol, thank you to the two who knew what the drug's correct name was (both work in the medical field, one as an after surgery nurse).  One other said the version I was given is gluten-free (via IV), but the pill variety is not.

Since I was given Morphine, one said I should have been prescribed Phenegran or Compazine (when this was suggested, I remembered I had been given Compazine for nausea once before, but not after a surgery).  Another solely recommended Compazine.  Another said solely Phenegran.  And another suggested Reglan.

Post-op meds can cause vomitting and I should watch out for dehydration.

Because of our sensitive stomachs, we're more susceptible to nausea.

On my reply, where I said I'd forgotten to mention I was sent home with a prescription for Tylenol with Codeine, another mentioned Codeine also got her very ill.

One suggested I should ask which anesthesia was given to see if something else could be used if I needed surgery in the future.

Use ginger: ginger tea - grate fresh ginger into hot water and add a little honey.

Another said since I was already experiencing the nausea from the surgery, she'd seen Veratrum Album 30c mentioned and thought that might help.

It takes time to work the anesthesia out of your system.

Check meds given at: http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

One suggested I look for an answer here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

My Comments:
One thing I'd forgotten to mention in my original post was that I was prescribed Tylenol with Codeine for pain.  My surgeon had me stop taking that.  Unfortunately, I wound up in a great deal of pain the following day because although with my history of dealing with life before knowing Celiac Disease existed, I had a history of diarrhea, but not much dealing with constipation.  I wound up with a lot of pain in that direction and was advised I drink a lot more water, warm tea and that it might have been wise for me to have been given a stool softener post-op to help with that.  I'm only adding this last part so that any others who may be newer to the surgery world (I had my tonsils out at 17 and my gall bladder removed at 20, both pre Celiac; I'm 33 now) might not have to go through some of the pain I did.  I'm still hobbling about and hoping to get back to "normal" life as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your responses and wishes for my speedy recovery.  I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my plea for help.  Any mistakes made in summarizing are mine

Sincerely,
Lisa
(Chicago)