From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:53:44 -0400

Many thanks to all who responded.

Joel

Summary follows:

- We ate at the Grand Floridian hotel at the restaurant called
Citrico just after Christmas. It was a nice restaurant - the chef was
very familiar with celiac disease. We called ahead to make a
reservation and to let them know of our dietary needs. The chef was
ready for us - brought hot gluten free rolls to the table! - and had
wonderful suggestions for a gluten free meal.

- My family and I were in Orlando in March. We ate at Carrabba's Italian
restaurant (they have a GF menu), Joe's Crab Shack and T.G.I. Friday's. We
loved Carrabba's and ate there twice. (They don't have any locations in
Washington State so they were new to us.) We had great service at every
restaurant that we ate at.

- We stayed at the Omni Orlando Hotel at Championsgate which is 3 miles from
the Disney complex in January.  The restaurant wait staff there were
extremely willing to make gluten free and casein free foods for my husband.
It was the best he ever ate GF!!!

He ate at Trevi's most of the time (Their main dining room--which is
Italian, and they were totally able to accomodate him.)  A call ahead would
definitely help.

- Seasons 52 is fine but they offered me a fairly plain, yet gf meal.
(www.seasons52.com) We can't have their specialties - flatbreads or mini
desserts (except for fruit or sorbet). We have them here but I will now only
go for lunch as it's a much better value and their entree salads are at
least not boring. They don't have printed gf menus but you can have one
e-mailed to you through their website. You have to send a note in the
'contact us' section.

Samba Room served me the finest gf meal I'd had to date in the US in Jan.
(www.e-brands.net) Chef Jose Camey there even made me gluten free crab
cakes...to die for!

For very high end try Roy's (www.roysrestaurant.com) Ask for Jeannie Lee to
make the reservation for you - she understand gluten free and so does their
Chef. You can e-mail Jennie Lee from their website/Orlando store.

All three of these places are on International Blvd., not far from the
Convention Center there.

- There is an excellent Restaurant nearby, but you would need a car to get
there. I believe it is Cafe Margeux. I am not sure of the spelling and right
now I am not able to remember the town.

- I am sure the celiacs who live in Orlando will be of much more help.  We
were there in March for spring break.  We stayed with family so most of our
meals were home made.  But we did eat at PF Changs one night.  It was really
nice and in a the Millenia shopping mall.

- can't recommend restaurants but do want to tell you about a great health
food store chain in the Orlando area that has a great stock of GF foods.
they also have a cafe and were very helpful when I ate there.

http://www.chamberlins.com/

- My 9 year old daughter with CD and Type 1 diabetes and I were just in
Orlando for spring break. I have two suggestions for you. Our first meal
(other than our food brought from home) was at Outback steakhouse. They have
a gluten free menu and their flourless brownie is to die for. The first half
of our trip we stayed at a villa with a full kitchen so we bought foods at
the local grocery that were familiar to us. The last four days we stayed at
another hotel but each day we drove a short distance to Disney's All Star
Movies Resort to eat two meals a day. They don't mind visitors who are not
staying at the resort. They even said it was alright to park in the lot for
guests checking in so we didn't have to pay for parking either. Everyone
entering the Disney property has to flash a photo idea at the guard booth
but that's it. Amelia loves the food and attention she gets at the Disney
food courts and it's usually cheaper than going to a restaurant. I hope you
have an enjoyable! and GF trip to Orlando.