From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:39:27 -0500

Hello,

I posted previously regarding timing of biopsies for diagnosis of CD.  I was
GF/dairy free for a month and eventually had no more symptoms.  Then my GI
doctor told me to ingest gluten for 5 days prior to a biopsy.  I did not eat
dairy and felt no obvious symptoms (maybe a little gas?).  He said he did
not see any obvious problems and could clearly see villi with the EGD; he
showed me a photo.  However, he did take biopsies and the results aren't
back yet, and I'm supposed to take a transglutamase blood test later this
week.  I'm concerned that if the tests are negative, it might be only
because I was ingesting gluten for such a short time. I asked my GI doctor
about this, and he said that if I have CD, my body would react recognizably
after only one day of ingesting gluten and it would show up on the biopsies.
  Does anyone have any references (as in medical journals) that agree or say
otherwise?  Even if results are negative, I want them to do blood tests
later if symptoms come back rather than assuming that CD is not the problem
based on this set of tests.  Hopefully, I can avoid the years of
misdiagnosis that many of you have endured.  I am not sure by any means that
my problem is not dairy rather than gluten, but I want to be sure.

Thanks,
Erin
State College, PA