From:
Janet Dopsovic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Dopsovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:16:29 -0800

Thank you for all your responses. I posted for a
friend of mine who is having computer problems. First,
in order to consider a medical deduction your expenses
must exceed 7.5% of your income. My friend knew that
and her expenses are exceeding this amount. If you are
relatively healthy and your only expense is food, this
is probably not the case.

A summary is provided on celiac.com, it says most of
the things everyone else said, but it states that it
is based on an article written in 1993. The tax code
changes yearly.
http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=363&p_catid=&sid=91hH9H0l3AAw2BT-08103605059.5b

www.celiac.org  has a similar summary, however they
provide citations for code and case law--useful to
give your accountant when preparing your return and
have handy in case you are audited. To see this
article after you go to the website hit "bulletin
board" then scroll to the bottom of the page where
there a link to tax information.

If you decide to deduct food as a medical expense, you
really should have a professional prepare your taxes.
You will need all your reciepts and a comparison price
for each food item (1 pound of rice flour compared to
1 pound of "all purpose flour). You would deduct the
difference between the two. Some items that have no
substitutes (xanthum gum) may be fully deductible.
Additionally, you will need a letter from your doctor
explaining the diagnosis and necessity. Finally, one
person noted that these deductions are very
questionable because we (people with CD) can still eat
without specialty foods. In other words, the IRS may
not see the necessity in buy rice pasta or special
flours to make baked goods when we can still eat
potatoes, rice, meat, salad, etc. The IRS has ruled
against people on other special diets.

Thank you,

Janet Doposvic