From:
Lori Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:04:17 EST

 The most recommended was the Zojirushi or the Breadman. I guess it's not as
easy as I thought it would be (LOL, nothing has been so far!!) I'm new at this
(end of Nov) & have alot to learn!!
                      Here's a little humor at my expense!
                                                   I made my 1st Brownies
from a mix that was a gift from my sister for Christmas, I was on the phone with
her while I was mixing this, I could not stop it from climbing up the beaters,
it was so thick I thought I had messed something up, my sister said just "add
more water". I did but, it did'nt seem to make it better!!   It burnt out the
motor on my mixer!! I finished by hand.   I went ahead & baked them. They
were really good!!
  Now I know, It was'nt just me messing up!! I asked for suggestions on Bread
Machines & I think I need to start out with a GOOD mixer!! Suggestions???
Small steps!!
Thank-you!
Lori

I bake all of my daughter’s gluten free bread and recently purchased a
Zojirushi Model BBCC-X20 after doing considerable research.  This manufacturer was
recommended because of the fact that you can custom dictate the different
functions of the bread making cycle – necessary for delicate gluten-free flours.
In the case of this machine, you can eliminate the second rising of the dough,
which seems to be critical for a quality result with gluten free mixtures.  I
noticed a substantial difference between this machine and my old DAK, with
which I was very successful with regular breads.  But, the DAK couldn’t handle
the gluten free mixtures.

The two most popular brands for GF bread making are the Breadman and the
Zojirushi.  Both of these have the ability to set the single rise cycle.
Most bread machines have at least two rise cycles, which disrupt the ability
of the gluten free grains to rise.  Like me on Sunday morning, GF flours
rise slowly, and don't like to rise twice.  That's one advantage regular
wheat flour has over GF flours.  Second,  you may want to vary the amount of
pre-heat time you use to counteract the refrigerated flour, cold eggs,
frozen yeast, etc.  YOu can do that with either of these machines.

I use a Zojirushi machine, the BBCC-V20.  I am quite pleased with the bread
I get from it, and have had no trouble in the three years I have been using
it.

For some recipies for GF bread, contact Red Star Yeast @  1-800-4-CELIAC.
They have a free pamphlet with about 8 or 9 different types of bread.  I
started with the Basic White, and modified it to the recipe I use today.  I
use 1 cup Garfava flour (bean flour), 1 cup white rice, 1/2 cup soy and 1/2
cup cornstarch.  The balance of the ingredients are the same as the Basic
White recipe in the Red Star pamphlet.

I don't use a bread machine.  I went looking for one and a wonderful
baker sales person and talked with me at length about my need to
program the machine.  The end result of the conversation was that he
told me I really did not need one.  The big plus of the machine is
the kneading and two rises.  We don't need to knead and have only one
rise.  I really appreciated the advice.  He was right.  The only
reason to get one is to provide for a constant temperature for the
rise cycle.  You still have to clean the pan, but do use one less
bowl.  Good luck.

I have a small online business featuring tools that are especially
appropriate for folks who are on special diets.  The two most popular bread machines
(Zojirushi, and Breadman are featured on that website.  My prices are comparable
on items that have manufacturer set Minimum Allowed Pricing, and I also donate
to the gluten intolerance related charity of your choice from the profits of
the sale.

www.geocities.com/glutenfreetools

We had the one that starts with a Z but my wife bought a kitchen aid mixer
and says it is easier
to bake it in the oven.
Charlie in SC