From:
Tgerlily <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 20:35:17 EST

Hey, happy holidays to all!  I just wanted to pass along some information that
I've been exposed to during my studies in pharmacy school.  I've always taken
vitamin supplements because of possible vitamin deficiencies related to our CD
diets, but I recently read that Celiacs have particular problems absorbing
Selenium, Zinc, and Copper from our diets.  Selenium is known to help prevent
heart disease and cancer.  Copper helps your nervous and blood systems to
function, and is somewhat associated with hair losing pigment with age.  Zinc
is a co-enzyme that helps protect the liver and immune system.

So, these are all essential minerals within the body.  I would recommend that
everyone take a reputable daily vitamin, but you might want to consider extra
supplements of these minerals.  Also, don't discount looking into other
minerals or herbs.  I think that we will discover, just as with Melatonin and
St. John's Wort, that natural doesn't always mean ineffective!  But please, be
careful of those anonymous starches and fillers.  To look into this further,
check out "The Real Vitamin and Mineral Book" by Shari Lieberman, phD.

Merry eating, and best wishes for 1998!
Jessica