From:
Linda Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:40:08 EDT

Sorry it took a while to summarize!   It seems that the medical opinion most
cited for celiacs having celiacs is around 10% occurence.  (In my question, I
had thought it was higher).This figure comes partly from the most recent
studies of the Center for Celiac Research.  They are doing Multi-Center
serological screenings to determine the prevalence of Celiac Disease int the
US. and part of this is with 1st and 2nd degree relatives. Preliminary
results show:

     1st degree relatives of celiacs  - 1 out of 12
     2nd degree relatives of celiacs  - 1 out of 11

(This figure is on testing 1,819 first degree relatives and 352 second degree
relatives.  This is preliminary data - they will be testing many, many more
people.)  For further info on the Center for Celiac Research and this study,
see:

http://www.celiaccenter.org/frm_research_update.htm

Seven other people responded also that 10% is the percentage most agreed upon
by rest of the medical community.

  Quite a few people commented that ithey think the percentage is really
higher from comments made on this list, but maybe that is because people who
are celiac themselves might comment about their children if they are celiac,
but don't mention their children if they are not.  One lady responded that
she was celiac and that none of her three children or 10 grandchildren were
celiac.   Anyway, hats off to Dr. Fasano and all those helping him for their
hard work and dedication with the above study.  Let's support this research
by donating what we can through our support groups and individually!  The
above site gives details. (I have no financial interest in this of course -
just celiac interest!) Thanks to  everyone for responding!!   Linda in
Mississippi