From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:42:49 -0800

IMHO, call it what you want, but leaky gut, food allergies/intolerances,
dysbiosis (especially candidiasis), hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) are
all part of the same disease.  These four monsters are ALL tied together and
they never walk alone.  If you have one, you have all four.  You must treat
all four simultaneously to see an improvement in the others.  An
exascerbation of any one will cause an exascerbation of the other three.  I
posted the other day about my recovery from the many complications of food
allergies.  It's the same thing I do for leaky gut, candidiasis &
hopychlorhydria, because it's all part of the same condition.  It's hard
work & often professional services of a good naturopath or alternative
physician is necessary for allergy testing, at least.  A lot of people will
tell you to take glutamine (L-glutamine, etc.), but I didn't find that
product very helpful.  However, glutamine may be part of the total package
in the beginning, but I haven't used it for years.  I've whittled recovery
from leaky gut & the other three monsters down to it's basic elements:
(1) live probiotics (kefir, kimchee, raw sauerkraut, yogurt, etc.)
(2) severe limitation of refined foods (especially sugar and GF baked goods)
w/ an emphasis on whole, fresh natural foods prepared at home)
(3) stomach acid replacement, HCl (most people need this for life, but a few
don't.  I like Thorne Bio-Gest, but there are many other good,
over-the-counter HCl supplements out there.  Most supplements purchased at
health food state that they are GF right on the label)
(4) avoidance of allergenic foods (once I was 100% better which took a
couple of years, I found I could eat just about anything I want, in
moderation, of course.  But at first, I had to be 100% comitted to avoiding
even traces of my particular allergenic foods).

The only supplements I take long term (other then basic vitamins, minerals &
essential oils) is Thorne Bio-Gest which is a NON PRESCRIPTION complete
stomach acid & digestive enzyme supplement.  Pricey, but totally necessary
to maintain my gut health.  Search the web, your local health food stores &
pharmacies for sources of HCl (often called betaine hydrochloride or
glutamic acid hydrochloride).

I make my own goat milk kefir at home.  You can learn all about kefir, both
dairy and NON-dairy kefirs at Dom's kefir website
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html  You can find real kefir
grains at this site:
http://66.46.11.99/clarkson/Show/Clarkson/kefir/default.asp
You can find kefir starter, but not real kefir grains, at many commercial
websites & health food stores.  I used commercially prepared kefir starter
before I got my real grains and got excellent results.  But, I like real
kefir grains better, because it's cheaper and I'm Scotch.

Recommended references:
WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU by Jonathan Wright MD ND
NOURISHING TRADITIONS  by Sally Fallon
www.bodyecologydiet.com
www.makersdiet.com
BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE by Elaine Gottshall.

Read, read, read.  Learn, learn, learn.  Knowledge is power.

Valerie in Tacoma