From:
David Popowich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:31:22 -0500

Hi all, Not one to leave well enough alone and wanting to make something
special for my son's class for Valentine's day, I came up with the
following:

1 recipe Biscoitos De Maizena as follows:

    2 cups cornstarch
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2teaspoon salt (delete if using salted butter)
    1 1/2 sticks butter
Sift cornstarch, sugar and salt together. mix in the egg and blend in
the butter.  Blend well.  Take out half the plain dough and set aside.
Put red food coloring in the remaining dough and mix till red enough for
your preference.  Roll out the white dough on waxed paper till about a
half inch thick and about 3 inches wide. Roll the red dough into a rope.
If you can make it kind of heart shaped (in crossection) that's best,
then and place the red dough in the middle of the white dough.  Roll the
white dough around the red dough and seal the edges.  Wrap the whole
thing in waxed paper and refrigerate a few hours.  When ready to bake,
slice the dough approx 1/4" thick and bake 10-12 minutes in a 375 degree
oven.  I bake them on aluminum foil on top of the cookie sheet and wait
for the cookies to cool before removing them from the foil.  Depending
upon how creative you are, these can look almost like the Pillsbury cut
and bake cookies and have a lot of potential for other holidays.
Have fun. Clare MA